Welcome to Holy Trinity Episcopal Church

311 S. Hall St.
Grangeville, ID 83530

We strive to love our neighbors as ourselves and respect the dignity of every person.

— Vicar Chris B. Hagenbuch

Holy Trinity Episcopal Church offers traditional, Eucharistic worship in a friendly, comfortable environment. We pray. We sing. We serve. We love. All are welcome. 

Sunday morning worship begins at 10 a.m. and lasts for about an hour. Guests are welcome to participate in Eucharist (Communion) and to join us for refreshments after the service!

For more information, please feel free to contact us: (208) 451-0645 or cbhholytrinity@hotmail.com

About Vicar Chris B. Hagenbuch

Chris Hagenbuch and his family joined the congregation of Holy Trinity Episcopal Church in 1995. It wasn’t long, however, before Chris found himself serving at the bedsides of the sick as a lay minister. It was during these visits that he first began to hear his calling. In 1998, following the retirement of Rev. James Grant, Father Chris was called by his Episcopalian community to lead the ministry of Holy Trinity. In 1999, he began his theological education under the supervision of the Episcopal Diocese of Spokane, and in 2004, he was ordained as a Deacon. In September 2005, Chris was ordained as an Episcopal Priest, and on November 20, 2005, Father Hagenbuch was charged with the care of the entire ministry of Holy Trinity Episcopal Church. While Father Chris loves all parts of his ministerial duties, his passion and first love is in providing pastoral care to our neighbors who, due to illness or incapacity, require personal visits at their homes or hospital beds. But those of us who attend his Sunday services and have prayed beside him, know that his warmth and concern extends to everyone in our community.

For More Than a Century

Our guiding principle is simple: “We strive to love our neighbors as ourselves and respect the dignity of every person.” In 1985, Bishop Edmond Lee Browning put it even more simply: “There shall be no outcasts in this church.” The first congregation of Holy Trinity met in the Grange Hall until a dedicated sanctuary was finished in 1892. Today’s services at Holy Trinity take place that same sanctuary. Read more about the history of Holy Trinity Episcopal Church.

A History of Holy Trinity Episcopal Church

1890

The Rt. Rev. Ethelbert Talbot was one of the missionary bishops of the Episcopal Jurisdiction of Idaho. He designed the church building and gave the first $500 toward the building fund. Prior to the building of Holy Trinity, Rt. Rev. Bishop Talbot would preach at the Grange Hall. Joe B. Cook and W.W. Stewart were the carpenters in charge of the construction. The stained glass windows were made to order in Chicago. The corner stone was laid on October 25, 1890.

1891

The stained glass windows arrived in Grangeville on April 1Oth.

1892

August 21st at 11:00 A.M. The Rt. Rev. Talbot accompanied by Arch-Deacon Sulger and the Rev. McConkey held the first service in Holy Trinity. Edna Baird and Rose Nichol were confirmed.

1893

The St. Agnes Guild had seven ladies who met weekly at the home of Mrs. A. F. Parker. The guild arranged to buy a stove, an organ, and to have the church painted. September 19th, the Rt. Rev. Talbot paid his annual visit to Grangeville.

1895

July 14th, the Rt. Rev. Talbot preached to a large congregation in Holy Trinity Church. Six people were baptized and six were confirmed. The Rev. G. W. Van Winkle came to serve at Holy Trinity. However, he was only here one year due to a lung problem which was worsened by the weather here.

1898

July 28th, The Rt. Rev. Talbot made his last pastoral visit to Holy Trinity. He was transferred to become the Bishop of the Jurisdiction of Eastern Pennsylvania.

1902

The Rt. Rev. Lamuel Wells wrote A.F. Parker that he assigned Rev. Willard H. Roots to this parish and Rev. Roots had served at Chelan Washington. The Rev. C. A. Horne of Clarkston would accompany him for his initial service. The parish house was built and a Sunday school organized. Rev. Roots also held services at Kooskia, Stites, White Bird, Freedom, John Day, Elk City, and Buffalo Hump.

1908

Cross over altar was given in memory of Mary Bradford Durgin dated November 26th.

Not Dated

The Baptismal Font was given by the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist. The altar was given in memory of George Saziskie Gray. The Wood family were involved in the establishment of the church. The Spencer family, descendants, are still active in the church today.